NOTE: This page may be outdated and is being preserved purely for the historical record. Please reference https://finances.vipulnaik.com/ for a better presentation of similar information, that is more likely to be updated and improved over time.
You might also be interested in my taxes page.
- Rent is $1800/month across two people, so expected annual cost is $10,800.
- Health insurance costs $2907. Note that I already paid this up in advance in 2015, so it won’t show up in my 2016 balance sheet.
- Internet, inclusive of taxes, costs about $58 per month for our household. Our Internet provider is sonic.net. Estimated annual cost: $696.
- Electricity and gas cost an average of $30-45 per month for our household. Estimated annual cost: $360-540.
- Web hosting on Linode costs $100/month. Estimated annual cost: $1200.
- Transportation: a $7.80 BART round-trip from Ashby BART to 16th Street/Mission BART every weekday (minus a 6.25% discount due to use of HVD tickets), plus a $2 bus ride back from downtown Berkeley on weekends, so about $39 per week. Estimated annual cost: $2000.
- Expenses on Facebook and other experimental altruism: $0-1000.
- Phone expenses: $40/month on my smartphone, and about $200 on my dumbphone. Estimated annual cost: $700.
- Internet-based subscription services: I am currently subscribed to Eros Now, Pandora, and Viki, but may or may not keep all subscriptions. If I keep all of them, my annual costs will be about $200.
- Entertainment purchases: $0-100 on MP3 songs.
- Restaurant dining: I am budgeting $2500 for this, though I hope that costs will be much less.
- Hot chocolate: I am budgeting $1500 for this, though I hope that costs will be much less.
- Groceries and toiletries: I am budgeting $3200 for this; costs last year were $2800.
- Clothes: I am budgeting about $250 for this, though I expect costs to be much less since I made significant expenses in 2015 stocking up on clothes.
- Business-related expenses: I am budgeting $2,000 though I anticipate rearranging matters so I don’t pay any of these expenses.
- Paying people to create content: I have arranged matters so that I only pay for marginal production of content in 2016 (I have already paid up the fixed costs).
- Loans: I expect to spend no money on these. I do hope to get back about $2500 in loans I made in 2015.